National Security and Foreign Policy
What Hank has done:
- Played host to former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Thomas R. Pickering on Capitol Hill to discuss the path to a political settlement of the war in Afghanistan.
- Consistently opposed the Iraq War and supported removal of our forces from Iraq.
- As member of House Armed Services Committee, always voted to protect and support our Armed Forces.
- Cosponsored the successful legislation of the 9/11 Commission's official recommendations.
- Introduced and passed a resolution officially calling upon the warring parties in Uganda, the government of the United States, and the international community to work to peacefully resolve that country's brutal civil war.
- Voted to restrict "no-bid" defense contracts, by which politically-connected companies like Halliburton receive Pentagon contracts with no competition.
- Introduced legislation to establish a National Commission on Detainee Treatment to review United States policy regarding the capture, custody, treatment, judicial proceedings, and repatriation of suspected "unlawful enemy combatants."
- Co-authored legislation to impose sanctions on Iran’s petroleum sector. It passed the House.
- Cosponsored the Iran Counter-Proliferation Act, which passed the House. It would sanction Iran for its failure to make good on its international legal commitments with regard to its clandestine nuclear program.
- Cosponsored the successful Darfur Accountability and Divestment Act, which states that it is U.S. policy to support state and local efforts to divest funds from, or restrict investments in, companies that conduct business operations in Sudan.
- Voted to increase U.S. funding for the global fight against diseases such as HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria, which exacerbate global poverty, pose an international health risk, and undermine the stability of entire regions.
- Cosponsored H.R 1698, the Iran Ballistic Missiles and International Sanctions Enforcement Act to prevent Iran from undertaking any activity related to nuclear-capable ballistic missiles.
- Cosponsored H.Res.92, to condemn North Korea’s development of multiple intercontinental ballistic missiles.
Received an “A” on League of Conservation National Environmental Report Card. He believes: “Climate change is real and threatens our health, the environment, national security and our economy, and I’m committed to working with anyone on Capitol Hill or in the White House to invest in clean-energy technologies and jobs.”
Introduced the “Election Infrastructure and Security Promotion Act of 2016” (H.R. 6073) that requires the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) designate our voting systems as critical infrastructure and the “Election Integrity Act of 2016” (H.R. 6072). This will put a limitation on the purchasing of any new voting systems that do not provide durable voter-verified paper ballots.
More on National Security and Foreign Policy
A lot has happened in just the past 10 days. Things change quickly in today’s political world, and you’re certainly not alone if the continued news of President Trump’s wrongdoing leaves your head spinning.
Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), a senior member of the Judiciary Committee and the Chairman of the Judiciary Subcommittee on the Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet, issued the following statement on moving forward with impeachment of President Trump:
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), a senior member of the House Judiciary Committee and Chair of the Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property, and the Internet, is asking the Department of Justice (DOJ) to explain the scope of its involvement in the tainted and politicized case against Brazil’s former president Lula da Silva, and Brazil’s broad “Lava Jato” (Car Wash) corruption investigation.
DECATUR, GA – Senior Judiciary Committee member and Chairman of the Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet subcommittee, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) released the following statement on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu threatening to block two Muslim Democratic members of Congress — both of whom are prominent women of color and highly critical of his country — from visiting Israel next week:
I’m hosting a series of town halls throughout the Fourth District to hear your thoughts and concerns on the issues most important to you. All events will be held from 6 to 7:30 PM. I’m holding my first town hall of the series at the Lou Walker Senior Center on Tuesday, August 13th. On Thursday, September 5th I’ll be at Snellville City Hall. On Tuesday, October 8, I’ll be at the Rockdale Career Academy and on Thursday, October 10th I’ll be at the Newton County Courthouse.
Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) traveled with Speaker Nancy Pelosi on a Congressional delegation to Ghana to hold high-level discussions with Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo, Speaker Mike Oquaye and other senior government officials. The delegation also visited U.S. Army Africa headquarters in Italy. Speaker Pelosi delivered an address to the Ghanaian Parliament.
Congressman Visits “Door of No Return” with Speaker Pelosi, Rep. John Lewis and other CBC Members to observe the 400th Anniversary of the First Enslaved Africans Landing in America
DECATUR, GA – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), is hosting his “Moving The Fourth Forward” town hall series at four locations throughout Georgia’s Fourth Congressional District from 6 – 7:30 p.m., to hear the thoughts and opinions of his constitutes on a wide range of issues.
Who: Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04)
What: Moving The Fourth Forward Town Hall Series
When: Tuesday, August 13, Lou Walker Senior Center, 2538 Panola Road in Lithonia;