Military Academy Nominations
Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Service Academies. As your 4th District Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, each year I have the privilege of nominating a limited number of students to four of the five service academies.
United States Service Academy Application Checklist:
1. Candidate Application – Print and complete the application packet and attach an appropriate photograph. Formal candidacy is established upon receipt of your completed application packet by the Lithonia office. Please note that you are also required to complete a pre-candidate application for each academy to which you are seeking a nomination.
2. Letters of recommendation – Ask your high school principal or guidance counselor to complete the provided Military Academy Nominations Recommendation Form. In addition, all applicants are required to submit two signed letters of recommendation with their completed Recommendation Form. Such signed letters of recommendation should be submitted by two of the following four individuals: Math Teacher, English Teacher, Science Teacher, and/or a non-related adult. Please note that strong character and leadership letters will be considered and reviewed as part of this selection process. All letters submitted on behalf of nominees must include a return address and contact number to be considered valid. NOTE: ALL RECOMMENDATION AND CHARACTER LETTERS MUST BE SIGNED AND ATTACHED TO THE MILITARY ACADEMY NOMINATIONS RECOMMENDATION FORM.
3. Academic Transcript – Official transcripts must be in a sealed envelope with a signature across the seal. If you have already graduated from high school, please include information outlining your academic and/or employment activities since graduation.
4. Standardizes Test Results – ACT and SAT scores must be submitted with your application packet. Please note that it can take up to six weeks to receive your test scores so plan testing accordingly. Scores printed on your transcripts are not acceptable. Our SAT code is 1530 and our ACT code is 7354.
5. Deadline – Completed application packets must be received in the Decatur office by Monday, October 30, 2017 by 5:00pm. No exceptions will be made.
Send all requested information to:
Service Academy Nomination Review Board
The Office of Congressman Hank Johnson
Attention: Shy Armstrong
5240 Snapfinger Park Drive, Suite 130
Decatur, GA 30035