Economy and Jobs
What Hank has done:
Voted to approve the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act, legislation that would eliminate federal penalties for cannabis, remove conviction records, and invest in communities.
Voted to increase the paychecks of American workers by passing H.R. 582, the Raise The Wage Act, to gradually increase the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2025 and restore the value of work in our economy by lifting struggling workers and their families out of poverty.
Introduced and passed the bipartisan FAIR Act: The Forced Arbitration Injustice Repeal Act, reestablishing Americans’ 7th Amendment right to seek justice and accountability through the court system.
- Helped deliver more than $1 billion of federal investment in Fourth District job creation since January 2009, including $98 million to save more than 1,000 teaching jobs in DeKalb, Rockdale, and Gwinnett counties.
- Secured funds for road projects on Covington Highway, South & North Hairston Road, Sigman Road, Chamblee-Dunwoody Road, Briarcliff Road, and Shallowford Road.
- Secured funds to train EMTs at DeKalb Technical college, funds to train the chronically unemployed for clean energy jobs at Goodwill Industries of North Georgia, hundreds of thousands of dollars for MARTA, funds for Suniva Inc. to hire additional workers at their Norcross solar panel plant, funds to hire more firefighters for DeKalb County – among others.
- Voted against the Wall Street bailout.
- Voted for the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act that ends the era of abuses by big banks that have cost the American people 8 million jobs and $17 trillion in retirement savings and net worth.
- Voted for President Obama’s Recovery Act, or stimulus package, which cut taxes for 95% of working families and made critical investments in education, clean energy and infrastructure.
- Cosponsored the Summer Jobs Act, which passed the House and would create 1,000 summer jobs for Fourth District youths and ease lending to small businesses. Hank joined White House officials and former Congressional Black Caucus Chairwoman Barbara Lee to urge Senate passage of the bill.
- Voted for and offered a successful amendment to legislation to reform regulation of Wall Street. It passed the House of Representatives.
- Congressman Johnson hosted the 2nd Annual Career & Community Resources Fair on March 3, 2017, showcasing great organizations that are sincerely focused on the wellbeing of their employees. "By creating an environment where constituents can explore various employment opportunities and resources, it will help bolster the local economy and increase the number of skilled workers in the labor force," said Rep. Johnson.
- Original cosponsor of H.Res.586, recognizing the growth and importance of minority women-owned businesses.
- Cosponsored H.R. 6467, the Federal Jobs Guarantee Development Act of 2018, To require the Secretary of Labor to establish a pilot program to provide grants for job guarantee programs.
- Cosponsored H.R.5785, the Jobs and Justice Act of 2018, to advance Black families in the 21st century.
What Hank will do:
- Continue to support investment in job creation for working Americans and the chronically underemployed.
- Support continued extension of unemployment insurance while unemployment remains high.
- Continue to call for Congress to respond to the severe deprivations of America's poorest people, especially during this period of economic difficulty.
- Continue to protect American workers as they seek to level the playing field in their bargaining with employers.
- Support tax relief for middle class households.
- Call for smarter regulation of a financial system that has become too corrupt and complex.
More on Economy and Jobs
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) highlighted a new report showing that Democrats’ Build Back Better Act would meaningfully lower costs and cut taxes for Georgia families, saving them thousands of dollars each year. According to the report, just four cost-cutting provisions of this landmark legislation alone will save the median Georgia family with two parents and two children at least $3,750 each year and save the median single-parent family with two children at least $16,450.
Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) delivered the following speech at the DeKalb & Dunwoody Perimeter Chambers Legislative Preview event on Tuesday, November 30 on "Rebuilding America."
Good morning everyone and thank you to the DeKalb and Dunwoody Perimeter Chambers of Commerce for inviting me to update you on where we are legislatively in Washington and how that impacts what's happening on the ground here in Georgia.
And most importantly, how that directly impacts you and your family and your small businesses.
LITHONIA, GA – Since taking office in 2007, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) has worked to help secure more than $70 million for constituents seeking help with federal agencies from his offices in Georgia’s 4th Congressional District, which encompasses parts of DeKalb, Gwinnett and Newton counties and all of Rockdale County.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) voted for the Build Back Better Act, which delivers once-in-a-generation action to bring down the everyday costs that burden Georgia families. This landmark legislation creates good paying jobs, cuts middle class taxes and lowers the costs of health care, childcare and family care. Importantly, this legislation is fully paid-for by asking the wealthiest few and biggest corporations pay their fair share, and so the Build Back Better Act will both grow the economy and fight inflation.
The House Judiciary Committee this week is marking up the Forced Arbitration Injustice Repeal (FAIR) Act, which would prohibit forced arbitration in all forms. The measure previously passed the House in 2019 with bipartisan support but was not taken up by the Senate.
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) voted to create millions of good-paying union jobs with a once-in-a-century investment in rebuilding infrastructure in Georgia, including roads and bridges, transit, rail, clean drinking water and wastewater systems and high-speed broadband networks.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) voted for must-pass legislation to prevent a first-ever default on the federal debt, which would result in economic catastrophe for nearly every American family. This crucial bill – which Senate Democrats passed on October 7th, with all Senate Republicans present voting against – will keep the United States under the debt limit through at least December 3rd.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) voted again to keep the federal government open and protect the American economy and families from a devastating shutdown. This legislation extends government funding through December 3rd, while also delivering billions in desperately needed disaster relief and helping resettle Afghan refugees fleeing persecution.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – This week, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) voted for critical legislation that would keep the federal government open, secure emergency funding to help communities devastated by natural disasters and help resettle Afghan refugees fleeing persecution and prevent a devastating debt default.
ATLANTA, GA — Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), member of the House Committee on Oversight & Reform, released the following statement Thursday, Sept.