Economy and Jobs
What Hank has done:
Voted to approve the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act, legislation that would eliminate federal penalties for cannabis, remove conviction records, and invest in communities.
Voted to increase the paychecks of American workers by passing H.R. 582, the Raise The Wage Act, to gradually increase the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2025 and restore the value of work in our economy by lifting struggling workers and their families out of poverty.
Introduced and passed the bipartisan FAIR Act: The Forced Arbitration Injustice Repeal Act, reestablishing Americans’ 7th Amendment right to seek justice and accountability through the court system.
- Helped deliver more than $1 billion of federal investment in Fourth District job creation since January 2009, including $98 million to save more than 1,000 teaching jobs in DeKalb, Rockdale, and Gwinnett counties.
- Secured funds for road projects on Covington Highway, South & North Hairston Road, Sigman Road, Chamblee-Dunwoody Road, Briarcliff Road, and Shallowford Road.
- Secured funds to train EMTs at DeKalb Technical college, funds to train the chronically unemployed for clean energy jobs at Goodwill Industries of North Georgia, hundreds of thousands of dollars for MARTA, funds for Suniva Inc. to hire additional workers at their Norcross solar panel plant, funds to hire more firefighters for DeKalb County – among others.
- Voted against the Wall Street bailout.
- Voted for the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act that ends the era of abuses by big banks that have cost the American people 8 million jobs and $17 trillion in retirement savings and net worth.
- Voted for President Obama’s Recovery Act, or stimulus package, which cut taxes for 95% of working families and made critical investments in education, clean energy and infrastructure.
- Cosponsored the Summer Jobs Act, which passed the House and would create 1,000 summer jobs for Fourth District youths and ease lending to small businesses. Hank joined White House officials and former Congressional Black Caucus Chairwoman Barbara Lee to urge Senate passage of the bill.
- Voted for and offered a successful amendment to legislation to reform regulation of Wall Street. It passed the House of Representatives.
- Congressman Johnson hosted the 2nd Annual Career & Community Resources Fair on March 3, 2017, showcasing great organizations that are sincerely focused on the wellbeing of their employees. "By creating an environment where constituents can explore various employment opportunities and resources, it will help bolster the local economy and increase the number of skilled workers in the labor force," said Rep. Johnson.
- Original cosponsor of H.Res.586, recognizing the growth and importance of minority women-owned businesses.
- Cosponsored H.R. 6467, the Federal Jobs Guarantee Development Act of 2018, To require the Secretary of Labor to establish a pilot program to provide grants for job guarantee programs.
- Cosponsored H.R.5785, the Jobs and Justice Act of 2018, to advance Black families in the 21st century.
What Hank will do:
- Continue to support investment in job creation for working Americans and the chronically underemployed.
- Support continued extension of unemployment insurance while unemployment remains high.
- Continue to call for Congress to respond to the severe deprivations of America's poorest people, especially during this period of economic difficulty.
- Continue to protect American workers as they seek to level the playing field in their bargaining with employers.
- Support tax relief for middle class households.
- Call for smarter regulation of a financial system that has become too corrupt and complex.
More on Economy and Jobs
Today, I returned to Washington to vote in support of The Heroes Act, crucial legislation to address the COVID-19 health and economic crisis. Our communities, workers and families urgently need more relief to weather the pandemic.
Many of our frontline heroes are at risk of losing their jobs, even as they risk their lives to care for us.
Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) voted to pass H.R. 6800, The Heroes Act.
Congressman: Bold Legislation to Address the Coronavirus Health and Economic Crisis; Means More than $1B for Fourth District
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) announced his support of The Heroes Act, bold legislation to address the coronavirus health and economic crisis.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – On Friday, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), the Ranking Member of the House Judiciary Subcommittee Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet, re-introduced two important pieces of legislation to protect Americans’ digital privacy – the bipartisan Application Privacy, Protection and Security (APPS) Act of 2020 (H.R. 6677), and the Data Broker Transparency and Accountability Act of 2020 (H.R. 6675).
Congressman Overviews Latest Paycheck Protection Program & Health Care Enhancement Act
WASHINGTON, D.C. – On April 24, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) joined the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce on its monthly series “On Topic” to address the COVID-19 crisis and outline what the latest coronavirus legislation passed by the House on Thursday means for small businesses, community banks, healthcare facilities and COVID-19 testing.
To watch, click HERE.
Congressman Hank Johnson is a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Georgia’s 4th Congressional District. He works to empower underserved minority communities and help ex-offenders reenter society after incarceration.
WASHINGTON – To help millions of people, the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service today launched a new web tool allowing quick registration for Economic Impact Payments for those who don’t normally file a tax return.
DECATUR, GA — On Thursday, April 9, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) is hosting a small business webinar on COVID-19. He’s calling more than 2,500 small business owners in Georgia Fourth District to answer their questions and address their concerns about resources available to them in the age of the coronavirus.