Economy and Jobs
What Hank has done:
- Introduced the Fair Employment Act of 2011 – H.R. 1113 – which would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to protect against discrimination on the basis of unemployment status.
- Helped deliver more than $1 billion of federal investment in Fourth District job creation since January 2009, including $98 million to save more than 1,000 teaching jobs in DeKalb, Rockdale, and Gwinnett counties.
- Secured funds for road projects on Covington Highway, South & North Hairston Road, Sigman Road, Chamblee-Dunwoody Road, Briarcliff Road, and Shallowford Road.
- Secured funds to train EMTs at DeKalb Technical college, funds to train the chronically unemployed for clean energy jobs at Goodwill Industries of North Georgia, hundreds of thousands of dollars for MARTA, funds for Suniva Inc. to hire additional workers at their Norcross solar panel plant, funds to hire more firefighters for DeKalb County – among others.
- Voted against the Wall Street bailout.
- Voted for the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act that ends the era of abuses by big banks that have cost the American people 8 million jobs and $17 trillion in retirement savings and net worth.
- Voted for President Obama’s Recovery Act, or stimulus package, which cut taxes for 95% of working families and made critical investments in education, clean energy and infrastructure.
- Cosponsored the Summer Jobs Act, which passed the House and would create 1,000 summer jobs for Fourth District youths and ease lending to small businesses. Hank joined White House officials and former Congressional Black Caucus Chairwoman Barbara Lee to urge Senate passage of the bill.
- Voted for and offered a successful amendment to legislation to reform regulation of Wall Street. It passed the House of Representatives.
- Congressman Johnson hosted the 2nd Annual Career & Community Resources Fair on March 3, 2017, showcasing great organizations that are sincerely focused on the wellbeing of their employees. "By creating an environment where constituents can explore various employment opportunities and resources, it will help bolster the local economy and increase the number of skilled workers in the labor force," said Rep. Johnson.
- Original cosponsor of H.Res.586, recognizing the growth and importance of minority women-owned businesses.
- Cosponsored H.R. 6467, the Federal Jobs Guarantee Development Act of 2018, To require the Secretary of Labor to establish a pilot program to provide grants for job guarantee programs.
- Cosponsored H.R.5785, the Jobs and Justice Act of 2018, to advance Black families in the 21st century.
What Hank will do:
- Continue to support investment in job creation for working Americans and the chronically underemployed.
- Support continued extension of unemployment insurance while unemployment remains high.
- Continue to call for Congress to respond to the severe deprivations of America's poorest people, especially during this period of economic difficulty.
- Continue to protect American workers as they seek to level the playing field in their bargaining with employers.
- Support tax relief for middle class households.
- Call for smarter regulation of a financial system that has become too corrupt and complex.
More on Economy and Jobs
CLARKSTON, GA – On Monday, hundreds of residents attended Rep. Hank Johnson’s Resources Fair at Georgia Piedmont Technical College in Clarkston, which helped connect constituents with local, state and federal agencies that provided job-readiness training, information on the television/film industry and employment opportunities.
Congressman explores how important patents are to innovation, addresses rise of fraudulent trademarks from China
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04), chair of the Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet, conducted a hearing on Oversight of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
| To watch, click HERE. |
DECATUR, GA — On Monday, May 13, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), will host the 2019 Resources Fair for constituents looking to not only launch and better their career, but also better their lives and receive valuable information about a range of organizations who may be able to help people throughout Georgia’s 4th District and the entire state.
For the full program, click HERE
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) has been recognized by Goodwill Industries International (GII) as a 2019 Policymaker Leader.
Rep. Johnson is receiving the award for demonstrating tremendous support of Goodwill’s public policy and legislative agenda, including criminal justice reform and workforce development.
DECATUR, GA – Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) issued the following statement after he learned that local small business Gresham Transportation Services was awarded a new contract by MARTA this month. Gresham Transportation had previously worked under Dallas-based MV Transportation as a subcontractor to provide paratransit and other services for elderly and disabled MARTA customers but was dropped by MV without cause. Rep. Johnson stood up for Gresham during the process to get reinstated:
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) voted for a new bipartisan package to re-open government and provide $1.6 billion for key border security initiatives. The bipartisan package is based on legislation previously negotiated between House and Senate Republicans and Democrats prior to the shutdown.
Congressman scores leadership post on Judiciary subcommittee charged with administration of federal courts, intellectual property and the internet
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) announced Wednesday that he was elected by his peers to lead the Judiciary Subcommittee – Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet.
“I am honored to be named chairman of the Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet,” said Johnson.
Congressman ushers two bills – one to modernize the Federal Charter for the FFA and the other on overcriminalization – through House
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) managed two bills on the House floor that passed the House of Representatives by voice vote.
The first bill, H.R. 439, the “National FFA Organization’s Federal Charter Amendment’s Act,” is a bipartisan effort to update and modernize the Federal Charter for the National FFA Organization.
WASHINGTON, D.C.– Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) joined House Democrats to pass the FY 2019 Department of the Treasury and IRS appropriations bill to remove all doubt that hard-working Georgians will receive their tax refunds in full and on time. Each year, about 3,644,655 households receive an average tax return of about $2,814 which will remain in jeopardy as long as the President and Senate Republicans refuse to end the Trump Shutdown and fully re-open IRS.
We held an informative and excellent public discussion on the issues that Fourth District residents are most concerned about during our August 7th telephone town hall. We called 100,000 constituents to discuss the issues of the day. To listen to the live, 1-hour event, click HERE. The good news is if you missed our previous telephone town halls, I’ll be hosting another live access event soon. To sign up for future events, click HERE.