Armed Services and Veterans Affairs
What Hank believes:
- The U.S. military is the greatest fighting force in history, and the men and women who serve in it must be honored and amply rewarded -- never neglected.
- We should always seek diplomatic solutions first, but we must maintain our capacity to defeat any enemy.
- American forces in harm’s way must receive all of the equipment necessary to safely achieve their objectives, regardless of legislators’ opposition to the broader war.
- Veterans are owed the best services and compensation for their bravery that can be offered by the United States.
- The House Armed Services Committee, on which I serve, must be accessible to all veterans and active duty personnel.
What Hank has done:
- Hosted the “Extending the Legacy” program at the Lou Walker Senior Center in Lithonia on June 2, 2017, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War and veterans in the 4th District.
- Continues to advocate for The Gold Star Family Support and Installation Act of 2017 which would allow families of service members to maintain access to military installations, so they can receive support and have access to services if their loved ones pass during active duty.
- Original cosponsor of H.R. 5741, the Military Research and Development Act, to require annual reporting on the on the research, development, test, and evaluation capabilities of the Department of Defense.
- Cosponsored H.R.5467, the Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018, to amend title 10, United States Code, to extend certain morale, welfare, and recreation privileges to certain veterans and their caregivers, to authorize the appropriation of funds for the purpose of improving the electronic physical access control system used by military commissaries and exchanges, and for other purposes.
- Cosponsored H.R.5301, to amend title 38, United States Code, to prohibit the Secretary of Veterans Affairs from requiring a surviving spouse of a veteran to return certain payments for a month in which the veteran dies.
What Hank will do:
- Call for increased funding of veterans’ services to ensure the highest level of care for those who have sacrificed for this country.
- Effectively oversee the activities of the Department of Defense and its contractors, as according to the Constitution's Congressional mandate.
- Support the continued development of history’s finest military as it evolves to address future challenges.
More on Armed Services and Veterans Affairs
I’m hosting a series of town halls throughout the Fourth District to hear your thoughts and concerns on the issues most important to you. All events will be held from 6 to 7:30 PM. I’m holding my first town hall of the series at the Lou Walker Senior Center on Tuesday, August 13th. On Thursday, September 5th I’ll be at Snellville City Hall. On Tuesday, October 8, I’ll be at the Rockdale Career Academy and on Thursday, October 10th I’ll be at the Newton County Courthouse.
DECATUR, GA – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), is hosting his “Moving The Fourth Forward” town hall series at four locations throughout Georgia’s Fourth Congressional District from 6 – 7:30 p.m., to hear the thoughts and opinions of his constitutes on a wide range of issues.
Who: Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04)
What: Moving The Fourth Forward Town Hall Series
When: Tuesday, August 13, Lou Walker Senior Center, 2538 Panola Road in Lithonia;
CLARKSTON, GA – On Monday, hundreds of residents attended Rep. Hank Johnson’s Resources Fair at Georgia Piedmont Technical College in Clarkston, which helped connect constituents with local, state and federal agencies that provided job-readiness training, information on the television/film industry and employment opportunities.
DECATUR, GA – Today, Rep.
STONE MOUNTAIN, G.A.– On February 4, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) announced his office nominated 35 students to attend a U.S. Service Academy: Military Academy (West Point), Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, Coast Guard Academy, the Merchant Marine Academy and the ROTC.
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. - DeKalb County Officer Edgar Flores paid the ultimate price when he was shot and killed in the line of duty. Today, the community honored his sacrifice, one day after he would have turned 25.
I was honored to participate this year in the Art Institute of Atlanta’s Veteran’s Day Program, where we honored our military veterans, active personnel and of course those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. I was joined by USMC Sgt. Thomas H. P. Carroll, a Vietnam War veteran, and Chef Carl S.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), delivered remarks of the Floor of the House of Representatives to honor the late Ron Dellums, Oakland Mayor and 13-term Bay Area Member of Congress. Below are the Congressman’s remarks: