What Hank has done:
- As Chairman of the Courts and Competition Policy Subcommittee during the 111th Congress, led Congressional efforts to crack down on anti-competitive business practices, monopolies, and cartels.
- Introduced (with Sen. Al Franken of Minnesota) the Arbitration Fairness Act of 2011, which will protect consumers and stop business practices that require consumers to cede their rights to a jury trial as a condition of service. Hank first introduced this bill in 2007.
- Cosponsored the Consumer Product Safety Commission Reform Act, which passed House and Senate. It dramatically expands the CPSC’s capacity to oversee the consumer goods manufactured in and imported by the United States. This became obviously necessary, after the repeated introduction of toxic imported children’s toys and tainted pet food.
- Congressman Hank Johnson and community leaders hosted a Free File public briefing and demo on March 13, 2017, to highlight the federal and Georgia Free File programs that provide free online federal and state income tax preparation and e-filing services to low and moderate income taxpayers.
What Hank will do:
- From his post on the Judiciary Committee, continue to introduce legislation designed to level the bargaining and legal playing field between consumers and service and product providers.
- Support increased funding of and oversight on the part of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Call for quality control and safety assurance mechanisms in any trade agreements.
More on Consumer Protection
The bill is scheduled for mark up on Wednesday and expected to pass the House of Representatives fairly easily.
DECATUR, GA – Today, as Georgians file their 2017 taxes, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) blasted the GOP tax scam’s massive giveaways to corporations and the wealthiest 1 percent delivered at the expense of Medicare, Medicaid, Socials Security and working families.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) today joined Reps. Don Beyer (D-VA), David Cicilline (D-RI), and 64 House Democrats calling for the immediate dismissal of EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt. In a letter to President Donald Trump, the Representatives raised Pruitt’s unethical behavior, wasteful use of taxpayer money, and numerous actions, which contravened the EPA’s mission.
To read the full letter, click HERE.
DECATUR, GA – On the eighth anniversary of President Obama’s signing of the Affordable Care Act, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) called on Republicans to stop their sabotage and instead protect and improve Americans’ health care by working to lower Americans’ health care costs, including taking action on Democrats’ A Better Deal to Lower the Cost of Prescription Drugs proposal.
Rep. Johnson also highlighted new state-by-state data detailing the consequences of Trumpcare and the GOP sabotage effort for Georgians.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04), ranking member of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet, sent a letter to House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte urging that he call Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to testify before the Committee regarding Facebook’s role in Cambridge Analytica’s collection and misuse of private user data:
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Hank Johnson¬ (GA-04) – ranking member of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet and author of the Arbitration Fairness Act – issued the following statement after signing on to the Congressional Review Act (CRA) resolution to overturn the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) partisan decision on Net Neutrality:
Congressional Management Foundation Recognizes Rep. Johnson for Outstanding Achievement
Congressman Hank Johnson held a telephone town hall from his Washington, D.C. office on Wednesday, January 31 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. He called 40,000 residents in the Fourth District to hear their thoughts on what they would like to see him work on in 2018.
Mr. Johnson spoke to residents for more than an hour and 20 minutes on such topics as the immigration, taxes, President Trump, assistance with federal agencies and help for veterans -- among many other important topics.
For 1st Time in Modern History, Party In Control of House, Senate & White House Shuts Down Government
DECATUR, GA – For the fifth time in 30 years, Republicans have shut down the federal government. As the nation braces for the Trump Shutdown, Rep. Johnson (GA-04) called out Republicans for failing to allow a bipartisan solution to keep government open and meet the needs of the American people.