Rep. Johnson ensures district receives critical funding
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Stressing the need to help get residents back to work, properly fund local schools, hospitals, transportation and infrastructure, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) is pleased to announce that an additional $7 million in federal funding is headed to the Fourth District.
The money is part of the year-end $447 billion omnibus House appropriations, which focuses on the economy, workers, small businesses and veterans. The Senate approved the spending plan Dec. 13, and it now goes to President Obama’s desk for his signature.
The bill also includes $650 billion in mandatory spending on programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.
“This funding is critical for our communities that need a little boost,” said Johnson. “By focusing on infrastructure, small businesses and health care, this will help put people back to work and build a long-term path to recovery.”
Specific funding includes $4 million for MARTA, $1 million for Grady Hospital, $500,000 for construction to I-85/Jimmy Carter Boulevard Bridge in Gwinnett County and $250,000 for gang intervention in Rockdale County.
“Local government budgets are under severe strain and DeKalb is no different,” said DeKalb County Commissioner and Presiding Officer Larry Johnson. “Federal funding for MARTA and Grady is vital to help fill the gap and maintain services for our citizens. I’m glad that Congressman Johnson is addressing essential services that will increase the quality of life for the citizens of DeKalb County.”
“The federal funds for Rockdale schools couldn’t have come at a better time,” said Rockdale Schools’ Superintendent Dr. Samuel King. “The funds for Advanced Placement and pre-K programs will help us bridge the achievement gap and meet state performance goals. And it fits perfectly with the implementation of our strategic plan.”
Passage of the funding measure means the House will now tackle Pentagon appropriations separately this week.
Fourth District projects under the omnibus include:
Commerce, Justice, Science
● Rockdale County Sheriff’s Office, Conyers – Law Enforcement Mobile Data Network – $150,000
● Rockdale County Sheriff’s Office, Rockdale County – Rockdale County Sheriff’s Office – Gang Intervention - $250,000
Transportation, Housing and Urban Development
● I-85/Jimmy Carter Boulevard Bridge Replacement, Gwinnett County – $500,000
● Commerce Crossing Bridge over I-20, Rockdale County – $500,000
● Interstate 20-East Transit Corridor Alternatives/Environmental Analysis, Atlanta – $300,000
● MARTA Clean Fuel Buses, GA – $4,000,000
Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and related agencies
● Rockdale County Public Schools, Conyers, GA for its AVID/Advanced Placement program – $300,000
● Rockdale County Public Schools, Conyers to establish year-round Pre-K programs, which may include expenses for tuition, transportation, and meals – $400,000
● Grady Health System, Atlanta, GA for facilities and equipment – $1,100,000
● Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA for facilities and equipment – $100,000