What Hank has done:
- Congressman Hank Johnson and community leaders hosted a Free File public briefing and demo on March 13, 2017, to highlight the federal and Georgia Free File programs that provide free online federal and state income tax preparation and e-filing services to low and moderate-income taxpayers.
- Cosponsored H.R. 3975, the Cyber Breach Notification Act of 2017, to require covered entities to provide notification in the case of a breach of unsecured sensitive personally identifiable information in electronic or digital form, and for other purposes.
- Cosponsored H.R.1300 - United States Call Center Worker and Consumer Protection Act of 2017, to require the Secretary of Labor to maintain a publicly available list of all employers that relocate a call center overseas, to make such companies ineligible for Federal grants or guaranteed loans, and to require disclosure of the physical location of business agents engaging in customer service communications.
- Sponsored H.R.6547, APPS Act of 2018, to increase consumer privacy on mobile devices.
- Sponsored H.R.6548, the Data Broker Accountability and Transparency Act of 2018, to make it easier for consumers to correct and opt out of big data collection and use.
What Hank will do:
- From his post on the Judiciary Committee, continue to introduce legislation designed to level the bargaining and legal playing field between consumers and service and product providers.
- Support increased funding of and oversight on the part of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Call for quality control and safety assurance mechanisms in any trade agreements.
More on Consumer Protection
Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) has been named by Goodwill Industries International as a 2019 Policymaker Leader.
Johnson is receiving the award for demonstrating tremendous support of Goodwill’s public policy and legislative agenda, including criminal justice reform and workforce development.
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) has been recognized by Goodwill Industries International (GII) as a 2019 Policymaker Leader.
Rep. Johnson is receiving the award for demonstrating tremendous support of Goodwill’s public policy and legislative agenda, including criminal justice reform and workforce development.
DECATUR—On April 6, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) teamed up with the Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA) to inform residents about the Internal Revenue Service’s and state funded free tax preparation options available this tax season such as the Free File, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), and AARP Tax-Aide programs.
The event was held at Hillcrest Church of Christ in Decatur.
Congressman Johnson has participated in Free File awareness events throughout Georgia’s 4th district for the past several years.
DECATUR, GA – Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) issued the following statement after he learned that local small business Gresham Transportation Services was awarded a new contract by MARTA this month. Gresham Transportation had previously worked under Dallas-based MV Transportation as a subcontractor to provide paratransit and other services for elderly and disabled MARTA customers but was dropped by MV without cause. Rep. Johnson stood up for Gresham during the process to get reinstated:
Sen. Blumenthal introduces Senate companion; Bills would remedy Supreme Court ruling, Restore consumers’ rights to justice through courts
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, U.S. Rep. Hank Johnson (D-GA) and U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) introduced the FAIR Act: The Forced Arbitration Injustice Repeal Act, which would increase Americans’ rights to seek justice and accountability through the court system.
Congressman receives 100% on Humane Scorecard for 115th Congress
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), a senior member of the Judiciary Committee, announced Wednesday that he received a 100% from the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and the Humane Society Legislative Fund for his voting record, co-sponsorship of legislation and leadership in helping prevent cruelty to animals.
Johnson named chair of House intellectual property subcommittee
U.S. Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga., announced this past week that he will hold a leadership role in Congress over the next two years through a subcommittee chairmanship.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) voted for a new bipartisan package to re-open government and provide $1.6 billion for key border security initiatives. The bipartisan package is based on legislation previously negotiated between House and Senate Republicans and Democrats prior to the shutdown.
Congressman scores leadership post on Judiciary subcommittee charged with administration of federal courts, intellectual property and the internet
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) announced Wednesday that he was elected by his peers to lead the Judiciary Subcommittee – Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet.
“I am honored to be named chairman of the Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet,” said Johnson.