What Hank has done:
- Introduced in 2019, the Opportunity Zone Fairness and Inclusion Act, H.R. 4999, to bring inclusion, diversity, and fairness to the administration’s development program.
- Congressman Hank Johnson and community leaders hosted a Free File public briefing and demo on March 13, 2017, to highlight the federal and Georgia Free File programs that provide free online federal and state income tax preparation and e-filing services to low and moderate-income taxpayers.
- Congressman Hank Johnson’s (D-GA) bipartisan FAIR Act: The Forced Arbitration Injustice Repeal Act, reestablishing Americans’ 7th Amendment right to seek justice and accountability through the court system, passed the House of Representatives in Sept. 2019.
- Cosponsored H.R. 3975, the Cyber Breach Notification Act of 2017, to require covered entities to provide notification in the case of a breach of unsecured sensitive personally identifiable information in electronic or digital form, and for other purposes.
- Cosponsored H.R.1300 - United States Call Center Worker and Consumer Protection Act of 2017, to require the Secretary of Labor to maintain a publicly available list of all employers that relocate a call center overseas, to make such companies ineligible for Federal grants or guaranteed loans, and to require disclosure of the physical location of business agents engaging in customer service communications.
- Sponsored H.R.6547, APPS Act of 2018, to increase consumer privacy on mobile devices.
- Sponsored H.R.6548, the Data Broker Accountability and Transparency Act of 2018, to make it easier for consumers to correct and opt out of big data collection and use.
What Hank will do:
- From his post on the Judiciary Committee, continue to introduce legislation designed to level the bargaining and legal playing field between consumers and service and product providers.
- Support increased funding of and oversight on the part of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Call for quality control and safety assurance mechanisms in any trade agreements.
More on Consumer Protection
DECATUR, GA – Today, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) is urging hardworking families in Georgia’s Fourth District to file their taxes before the upcoming May 17th deadline to ensure they receive the accurate amount in new advance monthly Child Tax Credit payments they are entitled to as soon as possible.
Johnson said the expanded and improved Child Tax Credit could lift more than 14,000 children in Georgia’s Fourth district out of poverty and more than half of those out of deep poverty.
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Yesterday, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), chairman of the Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet, conducted oversight of the U.S. Copyright Office during a full Judiciary hearing featuring Shira Perlmutter, Register of Copyrights and Director of the U.S. Copyright Office.
Watch the video HERE.
The following is a transcript of the exchange.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Seeking to lower prescription drug prices by streamlining and making it more cost effective for generic drug makers to get their products to consumers for certain categories of often high-priced drugs called “biologics,” Congressman Hank Johnson (D-GA-04) and Congressman Darrell Issa (R-CA-50) reintroduced the Affordable Prescriptions for Patients Through Improvements to Patent Litigation as an amendment to the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009 (BPCIA).
DECATUR, GA – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) issued the following statement after President Joe Biden delivered his Address to a Joint Session of Congress tonight in Washington.
DECATUR, GA – On Saturday, April 17, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) hosted House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) for an Instagram Live event to discuss the American Rescue Plan, The American Jobs Plan, vaccines and the Jan. 6 riot and its aftermath.
To watch the episode, click HERE.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), a senior member of the House Judiciary Committee and Chairman of the Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet, announced he is returning as a senior whip for the 117th Congress.
This week, U.S. House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, D-SC, announced that Rep. Johnson will serve as a senior whip, a role the Atlanta congressman had last year.
DECATUR, GA — On Wednesday, April 7, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) is holding a virtual “Teach-In” event to lift up the life-saving resources contained in the American Rescue Plan. The Teach-In will help people understand how they can benefit from the various provisions of the bill – connecting constituents with resources.
Deaths among nursing home staff and residents account for 25 percent of COVID-19 related deaths in GA