On 11th Anniversary of the Affordable Care Act, Rep. Johnson Highlights Key Health Care Savings for Georgia Families Thanks to Historic American Rescue Plan
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) this week marked the 11th anniversary of the landmark Affordable Care Act (ACA) by highlighting transformative health care savings for hard-working Georgians thanks to the Biden American Rescue Plan. The plan builds on the ACA’s critical benefits by lowering the cost of coverage and expanding eligibility for federal subsidies to millions of Americans.
“For 11 years, the ACA has stood alongside Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid as a pillar of health and economic security for millions of Georgia families,” said Rep. Johnson. “In the midst of a deadly pandemic, access to the ACA’s lifesaving benefits and protections is more vital than ever. Now, thanks to the relentless work of Congressional Democrats and the Biden-Harris Administration to pass and enact the American Rescue Plan, the ACA’s quality, affordable coverage is more affordable and more accessible for Georgians and their families.”
Under the American Rescue Plan’s affordability enhancements for the Affordable Care Act, Georgians won’t have to pay more than 8.5 percent of household income on a benchmark silver plan in the Marketplace plan per year. For Georgia, the Biden American Rescue Plan will:
- Create significant savings for many Georgians in the marketplaces. For example, a 60-year-old Georgian couple earning $75,000 per year, under the American Rescue plan, will see their premium payments lowered by $1,406 per month. [use the links to the state fact sheets here]
- Further reduce the cost of health care coverage for consumers currently receiving financial assistance, including 57,300 Georgians with incomes below 150 percent of the poverty level who will now be eligible for plans with a zero-dollar monthly premium.\
- Make 127,000 currently uninsured Georgians newly eligible for receiving subsidies to make their health coverage more affordable in the Marketplaces.
These improvements build on the landmark protections the Affordable Care Act for Americans no matter where they get health coverage, including:
- Protections for 135 million Americans with pre-existing conditions;
- An end to insurance companies charging women more than men for the same coverage;
- A ban on insurers placing annual and lifetime caps on coverage;
- Guaranteed essential health benefits including requirements that insurance companies cover prescription drugs and maternity care;
- Key support for rural hospitals;
- Lower prescription drug costs for nearly 12 million seniors;
- Allows young people to stay on their parent’s health insurance until age 26.
“As we mark this important anniversary and the historic wins in the American Rescue Plan, I renew my commitment to continue fighting for Georgia families as I join my fellow Democrats to further strengthen the ACA to deliver lower health costs and prescription drug prices For the People,” Rep. Johnson concluded.