Economy and Jobs
What Hank has done:
- Introduced the Fair Employment Act of 2011 – H.R. 1113 – which would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to protect against discrimination on the basis of unemployment status.
- Helped deliver more than $200 million of federal investment in Fourth District job creation since January 2009, including $98 million to save more than 1,000 teaching jobs in DeKalb, Rockdale, and Gwinnett counties.
- Secured funds for road projects on Covington Highway, South & North Hairston Road, Sigman Road, Chamblee-Dunwoody Road, Briarcliff Road, and Shallowford Road.
- Secured funds to train EMTs at DeKalb Technical college, funds to train the chronically unemployed for clean energy jobs at Goodwill Industries of North Georgia, hundreds of thousands of dollars for MARTA, funds for Suniva Inc. to hire additional workers at their Norcross solar panel plant, funds to hire more firefighters for DeKalb County – among others.
- Voted against the Wall Street bailout.
- Voted for the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act that ends the era of abuses by big banks that have cost the American people 8 million jobs and $17 trillion in retirement savings and net worth.
- Voted for President Obama’s Recovery Act, or stimulus package, which cut taxes for 95% of working families and made critical investments in education, clean energy and infrastructure.
- Cosponsored the Summer Jobs Act, which passed the House and would create 1,000 summer jobs for Fourth District youths and ease lending to small businesses. Hank joined White House officials and former Congressional Black Caucus Chairwoman Barbara Lee to urge Senate passage of the bill.
- Voted for and offered a successful amendment to legislation to reform regulation of Wall Street. It passed the House of Representatives.
- Cosponsored the successful legislation that raised the minimum wage to $7.25.
- Voted for the Employee Free Choice Act, which would crack down on union busting, provide mediation and arbitration for contract disputes, and ease the union forming process.
- Introduced the Mobile Workforce State Income Tax Fairness and Simplification Act in 2010 and 2011 to ensure that Americans who work in multiple places are not taxed by more than one state or local jurisdiction.
- Voted against the Peru Free Trade Act and the Columbia Free Trade Act, which would put more Americans out of work during a time of economic hardship.
- Supported trade adjustment assistance to Americans who become unemployed due to shifting global trade patterns.
- Congressman Johnson hosted the 2nd Annual Career & Community Resources Fair on March 3, 2017, showcasing great organizations that are sincerely focused on the wellbeing of their employees. "By creating an environment where constituents can explore various employment opportunities and resources, it will help bolster the local economy and increase the number of skilled workers in the labor force," said Rep. Johnson.
- Original cosponsor of H.Res.586, recognizing the growth and importance of minority women-owned businesses.
What Hank will do:
- Continue to support investment in job creation for working Americans and the chronically underemployed.
- Support continued extension of unemployment insurance while unemployment remains high.
- Continue to call for Congress to respond to the severe deprivations of America's poorest people, especially during this period of economic difficulty.
- Continue to protect American workers as they seek to level the playing field in their bargaining with employers.
- Support tax relief for middle class households.
- Call for smarter regulation of a financial system that has become too corrupt and complex.
More on Economy and Jobs
U.S. Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga., called on Congress to pass legislation to address salary discrepancies between genders and races as he observed Equal Pay Day on Tuesday.
The congressman’s office said his district — which includes Rockdale and parts of Gwinnett, DeKalb and Newton counties — has the highest pay equity of any congressional district in Georgia, according to a National Partnership for Women and Families report.
DECATUR, GA – Today, as Georgians file their 2017 taxes, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) blasted the GOP tax scam’s massive giveaways to corporations and the wealthiest 1 percent delivered at the expense of Medicare, Medicaid, Socials Security and working families.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) released the following statement recognizing Equal Pay Day, which marks how far into the year a woman must work, on average, to earn as much as a man earned the previous year.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Hank Johnson¬ (GA-04) – ranking member of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet and author of the Arbitration Fairness Act – issued the following statement after signing on to the Congressional Review Act (CRA) resolution to overturn the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) partisan decision on Net Neutrality:
Congressional Management Foundation Recognizes Rep. Johnson for Outstanding Achievement
Transformational Infrastructure Plan is 5x the Size of President Trump’s Plan; Will Create 16 Million American Jobs
Congressman Hank Johnson held a telephone town hall from his Washington, D.C. office on Wednesday, January 31 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. He called 40,000 residents in the Fourth District to hear their thoughts on what they would like to see him work on in 2018.
Mr. Johnson spoke to residents for more than an hour and 20 minutes on such topics as the immigration, taxes, President Trump, assistance with federal agencies and help for veterans -- among many other important topics.