Armed Services and Veterans Affairs
What Hank believes:
- The U.S. military is the greatest fighting force in history, and the men and women who serve in it must be honored and amply rewarded -- never neglected.
- We should always seek diplomatic solutions first, but we must maintain our capacity to defeat any enemy.
- American forces in harm’s way must receive all of the equipment necessary to safely achieve their objectives, regardless of legislators’ opposition to the broader war.
- Veterans are owed the best services and compensation for their bravery that can be offered by the United States.
- The House Armed Services Committee, on which I serve, must be accessible to all veterans and active duty personnel.
What Hank has done:
- Hosted the “Extending the Legacy” program at the Lou Walker Senior Center in Lithonia on June 2, 2017, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War and veterans in the 4th District.
- Continues to advocate for The Gold Star Family Support and Installation Act of 2017 which would allow families of service members to maintain access to military installations, so they can receive support and have access to services if their loved ones pass during active duty.
- Original cosponsor of H.R. 5741, the Military Research and Development Act, to require annual reporting on the on the research, development, test, and evaluation capabilities of the Department of Defense.
- Cosponsored H.R.5467, the Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018, to amend title 10, United States Code, to extend certain morale, welfare, and recreation privileges to certain veterans and their caregivers, to authorize the appropriation of funds for the purpose of improving the electronic physical access control system used by military commissaries and exchanges, and for other purposes.
- Cosponsored H.R.5301, to amend title 38, United States Code, to prohibit the Secretary of Veterans Affairs from requiring a surviving spouse of a veteran to return certain payments for a month in which the veteran dies.
What Hank will do:
- Call for increased funding of veterans’ services to ensure the highest level of care for those who have sacrificed for this country.
- Effectively oversee the activities of the Department of Defense and its contractors, as according to the Constitution's Congressional mandate.
- Support the continued development of history’s finest military as it evolves to address future challenges.
More on Armed Services and Veterans Affairs
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04), delivered remarks of the Floor of the House of Representatives to honor the late Ron Dellums, Oakland Mayor and 13-term Bay Area Member of Congress. Below are the Congressman’s remarks:
We held an informative and excellent public discussion on the issues that Fourth District residents are most concerned about during our August 7th telephone town hall. We called 100,000 constituents to discuss the issues of the day. To listen to the live, 1-hour event, click HERE. The good news is if you missed our previous telephone town halls, I’ll be hosting another live access event soon. To sign up for future events, click HERE.
Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) recently celebrated and recognized his staff – both in Washington, D.C. and the District – for being named finalist for the first-ever Democracy Awards, the Congressional Management Foundation’s new award recognizing non-legislative achievement and performance in congressional offices.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) celebrated and recognized his staff – both in Washington, D.C. and the District – for being named finalist for the first-ever Democracy Awards, the Congressional Management Foundation’s new award recognizing non-legislative achievement and performance in congressional offices.
Congressman Hank Johnson held a telephone town hall from his Washington, D.C. office on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. He called more than 50,000 residents in the Fourth District to hear their thoughts on a wide-range of issues such as what the Democratic Party is doing to make sure their voice is heard on Capitol Hill and the Trump Administrator’s immigration policies at our borders.
Today, many in our nation feel divided, angry and uncertain.
But this Memorial Day weekend it’s important to remember that soldiers are not divided between Democrats and Republicans or liberals and conservatives — soldiers are American, as we are all Americans.
They put their country before themselves and if necessary give their lives in the name of our freedom.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Hank Johnson (GA-04) – ranking member of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet – issued the following statement after voting against the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).
Congressional Management Foundation Recognizes Rep. Johnson for Outstanding Achievement
Congressman Hank Johnson held a telephone town hall from his Washington, D.C. office on Wednesday, January 31 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. He called 40,000 residents in the Fourth District to hear their thoughts on what they would like to see him work on in 2018.
Mr. Johnson spoke to residents for more than an hour and 20 minutes on such topics as the immigration, taxes, President Trump, assistance with federal agencies and help for veterans -- among many other important topics.
For 1st Time in Modern History, Party In Control of House, Senate & White House Shuts Down Government
DECATUR, GA – For the fifth time in 30 years, Republicans have shut down the federal government. As the nation braces for the Trump Shutdown, Rep. Johnson (GA-04) called out Republicans for failing to allow a bipartisan solution to keep government open and meet the needs of the American people.