Sign up to receive email updates.
All fields required.
Home Foreclosure Information
Links below provide a one-stop shop for all your foreclosure information needs:
- What is Home Foreclosure?
- What Can Families & Individuals Facing Foreclosure Do?
- Key Links (WE RECOMMEND YOU EXPLORE ALL OF THESE)
- NEW: President Obama's Refinance Plan
- The federal government & attorneys general reach $25 billion landmark settlement with major banks
- NEW: Independent Foreclosure Review
What is Home Foreclosure?
According to the Home Ownership Preservation Foundation (995hope.org), foreclosure is "a legal action used by a mortgage company to recover any money from a customer when the customer does not pay his or her debt in accordance with the mortgage agreement." In other words, it's the legal remedy used by a mortgage company to assume ownership of a property when the required loan payments are not made. Foreclosure obliterates otherwise good credit.
"Although the actual process varies from state to state, foreclosure revolves around a homeowner's inability to keep up with monthly mortgage payments. The farther behind the homeowner gets, the closer to foreclosure the homeowner becomes."
Click here to open a new window with a list of common myths about foreclosure.
How to Avoid Foreclosure
If you are facing financial difficulty and suspect you may be unable to make your payments on time, first contact your lender. You may be able to renegotiate the terms of your mortgage.
We also highly recommend you consult the resources listed below. It is better to have contacted them before you are in urgent need of assistance.
What Can Families & Individuals Facing Foreclosure Do?
Atlanta Legal Aid Society and the Home Ownership Preservation Foundation are non-profit resources for families and individuals facing foreclosure. We recommend you contact both to maximize your access to information. Contact Atlanta Legal Aid at one of their offices:
- DeKalb County: (404) 377-0701
- Gwinnett County: (678) 376-4545
- Downtown Atlanta: (404) 524-5811
- SENIOR CITIZEN HOTLINE: 1-888-257-9519
- South Fulton / Clayton County: (404) 669-0233
We highly recommend the Home Ownership Preservation Foundation hotline for immediate counsel. HPF's representatives -- experienced advisors from HUD-approved agencies -- will be able to give you support and advice in your hour of need. Call now: 1-888-995-HOPE (4673).
We highly recommend that you contact a HUD-approved counseling agency.
● HUD-approved counseling services, foreclosure prevention tips, provisions of the service members Civil Relief Act; rental assistance programs
NEW: Correcting Foreclosure Practices [4-10-2013]
● Loans and Credit: What You Should Know About Equity Lines of Credit covers variable interest rates and other things about your home equity line of credit that can change without notice.
● Safeguarding Against a Credit Freeze: 5 Tips for Dealing With a Home Equity Freeze can help you protect yourself and your assets in case your lender freezes or reduces your home equity line of credit.
● IRS.gov – Tax questions & answers on Home Foreclosure and Debt Cancellation
● Avoiding Foreclosure: 5 Tips for Protecting Your Home from Foreclosure discusses housing and credit counseling agencies, and other short and long-term solutions to help you keep your home.
● Upcoming Legislation: Learn about laws that will protect you from unfair fees and practices with New Consumer Protections for Credit Cards and Mortgages.